Can you name the different kinds of malocclusions? Malocclusions, also commonly referred to as “bad bites”, refer to misalignments and poor positioning with your teeth and jaws. Malocclusions can be caused by a variety of disorders, many of which are out of your control. For all the various types and styles of common bad bites that may be moving your smile, see the list below:
– Rotation malocclusions originate when your teeth rotate out of their proper alignment.
– Open Bites originate when you have disconnected upper and lower incisors when biting down.
– Overbites, also called upper protrusions or buck teeth, originate when your upper incisors protrude out farther than your lower incisors.
– Misplaces midlines originate when the center of your upper incisors (front teeth) do not correctly align with the center of your lower incisors.
– Crossbites originate when your lower jawbone protrudes out farther than your upper jawbone.
– Spacing malocclusions originate with overcrowded teeth or large gaps between teeth.
– Underbites, also known as bulldog teeth, originate when your lower incisors protrude out further than the upper incisors.
– Transposition malocclusions originate when your teeth erupt above the gum line in the wrong space.
To schedule an oral exam for orthodontic treatments at Ora R. Canter, DDS Orthodontics, we invite you to schedule an appointment in Astoria, New York, with Dr. Ora Rosenfeld Canter and the rest of our team. We can be reached at 718-278-2441. Visit us today, and enjoy the season with a smile! We are also pleased to serve the Queens, Long Island City, Woodside, Elmhurst, Corona, Jackson Heights, and Middle Village, New York communities.