Orthodontic braces can go a long way in getting the smiles you deserve. Even the most crooked of teeth can be molded to a much more aesthetically pleasing mouth. The smile of your dreams can be yours. In addition, the responsibility of taking care of your braces increases your responsibility for taking care of your teeth. The additional emphasis on better oral hygiene can only be beneficial for your teeth and gums. Below are a few things you can do to help your braces and your smile:
– Continue brushing your teeth (and your retainer) twice a day, Also floss your teeth daily to prevent plaque buildup between hard to reach areas. Replace your toothbrush every three months.
– Continue your regularly scheduled cleanings and exams with your dentist.
– Go to your regularly scheduled appointment with your orthodontists at Ora R. Canter, DDS Orthodontics. Missed appointments will only delay your recovery time.
– Avoid foods that can get stuck in your braces and lead to tooth decay. This includes corn on the cob, chewy foods such as taffy, hard foods such as apples, and various nuts and snacks.
– Be sure to clean your retainer once a week.
– To protect your teeth and jaw, wear a mouth guard when playing contact sports. Your orthodontist can recommend a specific mouth guard for individuals with braces.
If you hygiene habits increase, the effectiveness of your braces will as well. If you would like to know more about what you can do to protect your braces, please make an appointment by contacting our wonderful team at Ora R. Canter, DDS Orthodontics via phone at 718-278-2441. You can also stop by our office in Astoria, New York. Come see us, and let us show you the benefits of braces today!